Born and raised in Montreal, Quebec, I moved to British Columbia in 2007. I have a Bachelor’s Degree (Hon) from McGill University in History (2006) and a Doctorate of Philosophy in History from the University of Victoria (2011). My dissertation was called “What My Mother Taught Me: The Construction of Canadian Jewish Womanhood in Montreal, 1945-1980.” In the past few years, I’ve taught Canadian history at the University of Victoria, the University of the Fraser Valley, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, and the University of British Columbia. My research concentrates on second- and third-generation Jewish women and how they combined their Jewish and Canadian identities.
Random facts outside of the usual bio!
- When I was a little girl, I wanted to be an egyptologist, especially after taking it as an extra-curriculur activity in elementary school, and I still love all things archaeological.
- However, I quickly decided that I wasn’t so keen on the excavation part, so I decided to become a historian instead!
- I am fluently bilingual in English and French, but I can (and do!) swear in Yiddish too.
- I am an avid reader, and I go through a novel every 2 to 3 days.
- What kinds of books do I read? Believe it or not, my favourite genres are historical romance, historical mysteries (including those that are in the magical realism category) and urban/paranormal/steampunk fantasy, especially those with kick-ass female leads. My current favourite authors are Ilona Andrews, Patricia Briggs, Anne Bishop, and Sarah J. Maas. Find out about what I’m reading by following me on Goodreads.
- I went to a math and science high school, and I started my post-secondary education in applied science. Then I failed my calculus exam, and decided I hated math. 🙂
- I talked my way into transferring into the Liberal Arts program at Dawson College (a Cégep in Montreal) by talking about my knowledge of Jewish money-lenders in the 18th century, based on what I learned reading Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. I think that turned out rather well. 😉
- My favourite TV shows right now are Jane the Virgin, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and Jessica Jones.
- I likely own more crafting supplies (especially yarn) that I’ll ever be able to use over the course of my life.
- I knit all my own socks. And my husband’s too.
- With the except of one year where I lived in Abbotsford, I have always lived on an island.